Friday, December 5, 2008

Taylor Mansion




Tonight I ventured with husband and child in tow to the Taylor Mansion in Newport Kentucky.
They were having a party for the holidays that my father in law being the county historian was invited to. What a fabulous piece of architectural history!
The building was enormous and the details unbelievable.
Starting with the front door which was made from a very thick piece of curved wood. I have never seen anything like it in my life. So amazing.
Anyway, the mansion was all original. They definitely don't build them like they used to.
After touring the whole house we went up to the attic on the third floor which was where the servants quarters were. I believe that many of the house servants were slaves, as it was before the civil war. The attic was my favorite part of the whole house.
The rest of the house was spectacular and everything you would expect a mansion to look like, but when I walked up the unfinished creaky attic stairs into the dark and gloom it was like I was walking into the soul of the house. The attic was creepy and rough around the edges. This part of the house just felt so much more real to me. So many lives were lived out in these small rooms. I just wanted to go into each one and explore. Alas they were roped off. Maybe another time! Just such a lovely house overflowing with history!

No comments: